How Can an Advocate Support Me?

Our NHS Complaints Advocacy Helpline team will take time to listen to your experience. We will be able to give you information about the different ways you can raise your concerns so that you can choose what you want to do.

If you want assistance, we will talk to you about what support you need to make your complaint.

This might be giving you information and contact details so that you can make your complaint yourself. Or a specially trained advocate can give you one-to-one support to help you make your complaint.

Advocates will support you so you feel empowered and confident so you can speak up.

Our Helpline team will:

  • give you an opportunity to speak confidentially to someone who is independent of the NHSarms crossed
  • take time to listen to your experience
  • talk with you about how you want us to support you – we can do this at any stage of your complaints process
  • give you information about how the complaints process works and what your rights are

If you choose to pursue your complaint yourself. You can download a self help pack or we can send you the pack directly. If you want to speak to someone now about your complaint, you can call our Helpline on 0300 330 5454 or email us at

If you choose to use an NHS Complaints Advocate, we can support you to:

  • understand what you can expect to achieve from the NHS complaints process
  • help you to compile the issues you want to raise in your complaint
  • write a letter to the right people
  • explore the options available to you at each stage of the complaints process
  • prepare for a meeting and attend it with you if you want us to
  • monitor the progress of your complaint with the organisation or person responsible
  • get in touch with other people or service what might be able to help you

We will always try to answer your questions to help you make your own decisions. Your advocate will not try to persuade you to take a particular course of action and will always respect your decisions and act upon your instruction.

Get Advocacy Support
CambridgeshireLondon – Hounslow | Northamptonshire | Peterborough | StaffordshireSuffolk | Warwickshire